High on the former Beneficial School on the corner Kent Road and Curzon Howe Road, (now Groundings Theatre).
In 1873 W. C. Grosse discovered the spectacular sandstone formation in the cenre of Australia. He named it Ayers Rock after the Premier of South Australia. The name has reverted to Uluru.
Ayers, Sir Henry(1821-1897)
Born 1st May 1821 at Portsea, son of William Ayers of Portsmouth Dockyard. Educated at Beneficial Society's School, Portsea. Then entered a local legal office. Married Anne Potts at Alverstoke. Emigrated as a carpenter with free passage to Adelaide for himself and wife arriving 1840. Worked as a law clerk before becoming Secretary of the South Australian Mining Association. During a political life he became Premier of South Australia seven times.
The four sons of the Bussell Family
An outstanding feature at Busselton is the 1841m long jetty which served the export needs of the Jarrah forestry industry.
St Mary's Church Portsmouth
The Church was built in the 1880's continuing a Christian presence of 1000 years. In 1829 John, Joseph, Alfred and Charles, sons of the late Rev William Marchant Bussell, emigrated on the Warrior to Freemantle, Western Australia. After two years finding their feet they settled in an area which was named Busselton in their honour. The St Mary's Church, Busselton, built in 1844-45 claims to be the oldest stone church in WA. It was consecrated in 1848 but a decade passed before it attracted a clergyman.